1) For years Louis Armstrong made claims that he was born on July 4th, 1900.
2) Armstrong was one of the key figures to promote a more relaxed approach to the music, while bending the conventional rules of jazz and swing.
3) Louis Armstrong’s nick name was Satchmo because of his mouth
4) His first cornet was bought with money loaned to him by the Karnofskys who were a Russian-Jewish immigrant family who had taken Louis into their family.
5) He appeared in the movie Pennies from Heaven with Bing Crosby.
6) Louis Armstrong became the first black to host a sponsored, national radio broadcast.
7) In 1968 he recorded his last hit, What a Wonderful World
8) Armstrong was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as an “early influence”.
9) On July 6, 1971, he died in his sleep at his home in Queens, New York.
10) The city of New Orleans renamed its airport as the Louis Armstrong International Airport.